Graph theory: adjacency vs incident

Okay, so I think if 2 vertices are adjacent to each other, they are incident to each other….or do I have it wrong? Is this just different terminology. I thought I was totally clear on this for my class, but now I am doubting myself reading the book and looking at my notes. I just want to know if I have it correct, and if I don’t could someone explain to me what the difference is between the two. I found several wiki’s and different university definitions, but none ever said that the two are alike and I’m confused and would like some reassurance. Thanks in advance.


Usually one speaks of adjacent vertices, but of incident edges.

Two vertices are called adjacent if they are connected by an edge.

Two edges are called incident, if they share a vertex.

Also, a vertex and an edge are called incident, if the vertex is one of the two vertices the edge connects.

Source : Link , Question Author : pqsk , Answer Author : Community

Leave a Comment